Sunday, August 13, 2006

Scents

Well, I was at the grocery store this morning (yes!! I finally went shopping! It was actually rather enjoyable; I have no idea why I put off getting groceries so spectacularly every time... But that isn't the point of this post), when the strangest thing happened.

I could smell my mother.

More specifically, I could smell my mother's perfume, the ever-recognizable Ysatis, by Givenchy. Before I knew it, my knees felt like jell-o, and I was frantically looking around trying to locate the source of the scent. It turned out being a little old lady, and I could help but feel a little dissapointed, even though I knew that my mother was currently halfway across the world.

I never can get over how strongly our sense of smell is tied with our memories and emotions. Which smells mean something to you?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BME. Can't think of lab without BME. It reeks!
I miss my job already...had to take a week off before le MCAT...do I think I'm ready? Hell...no...

5:14 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Vicky,

Happy birthday!
I hope you'll take some time for yourself before the MCAT to celebrate... at least long enough to eat a slice of chocolate cake :)

Bisous!

5:14 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.....

Je voudrais bien pouvoir te faire un gros bisous en ce grand jour....mais nous habitons trop loin....nous allons nous ratrapper cela en 2007.

Pense tres fort a toi.

Mom.

4:03 a.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Merci Magali et Maman! Ce fut un soiree tres agreeable... mes amis sont extras.

8:28 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home