Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Funky Toque

I was startled to realize today that I have a hairdresser.

...It all started about a month ago, just after I came home from my amazing trip to Greece and Turkey. I'd been absolutely fed up with my over-grown, thick, damaged hair in Turkey and was just about ready for a drastic change. So jet-lagged, clearly unable to make proper decisions, I stride into a very trendy salon (with great student discounts) called Funky Toque.

I announce triumphantly that I would like a haircut, immediately if possible. This is a big deal. I hardly ever bother getting a proper haircut. I can't stop staring at the woman, who is the very image of trendiness: her hair is short, spiked, and dyed white and blonde. Even her eyebrows match. She is not fascinted by me however, and barely glances over her magazine as she mumbles that David will take me.

That's when I turn around and am faced with David-- who, yes, has great hair-- my fabulous, flamboyantly gay hairdresser.
"Hellooo darling! Come over here and let's discuss where you want to go with your hair for ten minutes."
I stand back, aghast. Discuss? It's hair. I don't know what to do with it!
"Honestly... go wild. You're the one who cuts hair!"
To my horror, I saw his eyes shine with excitement, and I realized it was too late to that it back. Seconds later, I was strapped into his chair, as he brandished a myriad of scissors, razors, spray bottles and gels. Round eyed, I explained that I never cut my hair, let alone brush it.
"Don't worry," he cooed, "this will look even better if you don't brush it."
I just gulp. David takes advantage of this quiet moment to spill out his life story to me. There's never a dull moment in his chair!

"So, I had my heart broken the other day. There's this guy-- perfect, spend the rest of my life with-- kind of guy. I was crazy about him. The only problem is, he's straight."
"Oh no! I hate it when that happens!"
"Yeah..." He heaves a monumental sigh and snips off a dangerously large piece of hair.
"How did you find out?"
"When I kissed him!"

So today, I went back to Funky Toque for a quick bang trim (they're so cheap!). I'm sent off to a hairdresser, who sits me down in his chair. As I'm sitting, I see David, who recgonizes me and says hi. My hairdresser just blanches and says "She's yours?" and sends me off to get my hair cut by him.

Once again I am subjected to the whirlwind that is David. He quickly snips at my bangs, musses up my hair, proceeds to tell me about a great place for first dates, and finishes off with:
"So when school starts you'll come back to get a proper haircut, mmkay?" Before I can respond, he's gone, with a flick of his hand and a "Ciao, bella!".

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So where's the picture of you with your new haircut? I'm guessing you liked it if you went back :)
-AMmo

1:01 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Well, I did update my profile picture to one with bangs... and the best beer that you can get your hands on in Montreal.

1:04 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love David - I'm so getting my hair cut by him when I'm back in Montreal.

Have fun at the wedding this weekend!! There should be something waiting for you in your mailbox when you get back. Or at least, I'm hoping it'll be there. Sometime next week! :)

3:36 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wedding? Who's getting married?

12:45 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

My sister's god-mother's son. No, I am not kidding. I swear my family isn't affiliated with the mafia :X
Ooh Sarah you really should!! Another good David-ism is:
"You've never changed your part??! Darling, but you must! I changed my part and it changed my LIFE!"
I might have to cheat on David though. I met my friends' new roomie-- Francois Olivier, also a gay hairdresser... who'd cut my hair for free. Hmmmm.

4:14 p.m.  
Blogger swoods said...

Oh David! I've heard many people say that about their parts though. :) Hrmm, you'll have to cheat with Francois Olivier and tell me how that goes.

Are you back in Mtl now?

6:08 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David cuts my hair too - I'd be a little careful about what I blog about considering it's a small world :-)

6:33 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
I'm sorry if I'm using your blog to ask this question, I usually don't use these types of things and I hope I'm not being rude by adding this comment...
I just recently moved close to Berri-UQAM and I'm looking for a new barber shop. I came accross this Funky Toque salon and it seems to have great feedback.
You mentionned student discounts - any idea how much a men's haircut is over there??
Thanks a bunch!

6:36 p.m.  
Blogger Cowgirl said...

I totally disagree. Last week I booked a hair appointment and when I arrived the receptionist had scheduled me in for the wrong time. I had my graduation the next day. Instead of offering a constructive solution, the receptionist starting to yell and became very agitated saying that it wasn't her fault and there was nothing she could do. She was totally inappropriate and the whole situation was extremely embarrasing. I phoned to speak to the manager the next day and the manager said she would call me back but never did. After 4 years as a customer, I won't be going back. The lack of customer service seems to be a recent and ongoing trend.

1:47 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave is now working at Helmet salon on mont-royal and de buillon.... their number is 514-842-2105

11:10 p.m.  
Blogger GGGS said...

For anyone looking for info on Funky toque, they don't offer student discounts anymore (2009)

3:13 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home