Saturday, March 04, 2006

Visits

Yikes.
This past week has been insanely busy. It's just been a flurry of exams, papers, things to do for work... And, like the typical college student, I've been surviving mostly on poor nutritional choices and lack of sleep. But now that it's over, I feel great!

This month appears to be the month of unusual visits.

Last week, my godfather's son Adrien came to visit Montreal for the weekend. Being the only person that he (sort of) knew in Montreal, he stayed here. The poor guy-- by the time he arrived, I'd been studying non-stop for a week, hadn't seen anyone, and was essentially a socially inept ball of stress. I was freaking out (with reason) about my week of Hell. So, like the great hostess that I am, we'd have breakfast and dinner together, but during the day he was on his own while I studied at the library. I made him a list of note-worthy places to see, and even an itinerary to follow on the map. He was super independent and didn't seem to mind, which I greatly appreciated!
At night, I'd show him around my favorite places, and make him eat Montreal's delicacies (read: Faramount bagels and Mondo Fritz Poutine! Sadly, we didn't manage to eat smoked meat sandwiches...). Despite the fact that he couldn't have come at a worst time, and that we were essentially strangers, it was a fantastic weekend.

On Saturday night, while we were waiting for the bus to take us home, we heard techno music coming from behind a few buildings. Intrigued, we went to investigate, and found... a ballet of snowmobiles! It was incredible! Three pure-white snowmobiles, driven by three men in white overalls. They pirouetted (in their own way), swirled around, followed one another's lead... It was so bizarre, beautiful and fun, all at the same time. We just stood there, mesmerized, until the encore was over. Only in Montreal...

Next week, my godfather, his wife, and their daughter are going to be spending a few days in Montreal as well. Then, my cousin from New Zealand! I can't wait!

Oh, and work finally seems to be going better. Since I started, it's been like a horrible first-day at work that would never end. But now I've finally gotten the results I need, and, it would seem, the hang of things. Things are looking up!

6 Comments:

Blogger Victoria said...

Gotta love those canadians :)
I have a midterm next week and a bunch of papers for the end of the month, so I'm not exactly off the hook... but I am going toboganing tonight, yay!

4:39 p.m.  
Blogger 007 in Africa said...

Who's your godfather? I forget. Belinda's coming too? Awesome!

2:12 a.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Henri Neyrand, woo! Actually, they should be here now. I should give them a call...

5:13 p.m.  
Blogger Beaver said...

Sometimes, when I read your blog, I wonder where is this Montreal you're living in. Totally confusing to me. I guess I should go out more when I'm back home.

(Snowmobiles???? What's that???? ;o)

4:45 a.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

We should really hang out when you come back... so I can meet your Montreal, and you can meet mine!

8:17 a.m.  
Blogger Beaver said...

We TOTALLY should! I'll make sure to keep you posted. (By the way, I'll also spend almost 2 months in DC in the fall.... )

7:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home