Friday, March 24, 2006

My oocytes! Noooo!

What a day.

Woke up far too early (could I get more than 6 hours of sleep one night? Please?) to renew my passport.
The American consulate is this imposing 20 story high steel and concrete monolith in the middle of downtown. Their website presents the following caption:

"Note: The following items are prohibited inside the U.S. Embassy/Consulate:

  • Food & beverages
  • Backpacks, bags, luggage, large purses, etc.
  • Weapons or tools of any kind
  • Electronic or recording equipment of any kind to include laptops, cell phones, tape/CD/MP3 players, pagers, keyless remotes, etc.
  • Oversized Strollers (I like how strollers and weapons are put on the same level!)
The Consulate does not provide storage facilities for these prohibited items. Please leave these items at home, or store them in your vehicle. "

Mind you, I have no vehicle, which means that my backpack stayed at home. By the time the procedures were over, I'd missed my class anyway.
I should have my passport by next friday, which is fantastic. What is not so fantastic is that now I have to find a way to drive back to the U.S./Canadian border, and get re-issued a student visa. After that's done I need to renew my Canadian Social Insurance Number with my new visa so that I can continue getting paid legally.

Have I mentioned that I hate paperwork??

On another note: I got no results at work today. Which means that my 12 hour shift on Monday was a total waste of time :( I get to start over on Wednesday!

11 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

hey 007jr,

that sounds like a total hassle. it will all be worth it when you go on your trip though. and i meant to say thanks for that postcard you sent me!

love
kate

7:37 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OUch... Well that science... (at least I think so, I've never actually done any :).
I think strollers are actually more dangerous than weapons. A stroller can contain a future Hitler! They should all be banned just in case :)
-Ammo

1:08 a.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Hi Kate, welcome back!
Haha Ammo, you WOULD think that. :P

1:15 a.m.  
Blogger Beaver said...

I don't know about you, but I'd hate to be banged on the head with an over-sized stroller. *ouch*

About you need to "faire le tour du poteau", how about hoping on a bus to Plattsburgs if you're desperate? Would that do the trick? Too bad I'm not around, I'd have volunteered a road trip in a heart beat!

By the way, we use a service called Travisa - maybe it can help you out (www.travisa.com) - but I don't know if they do student visas.

Cheers!

Beav'

6:47 a.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Oh wow, thanks Beav! I'll definetly look into those options. Last time I borrowed a friend's car and drove there myself, but these days none of my friends have cars... not to mention that I just can't afford wasting 8 hours on a trip to and from the border!

8:34 a.m.  
Blogger Beaver said...

Tell me about it! Plattsburgh should be a short trip of a few hours.

I can't beleive you can't renew your student visa from Canada though. I'd check with the foreign affairs. This looks like it's applicable to students.

Good luck!

10:21 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Thanks again Beav! Actually my friend Nick just told me that he's getting his car back from home this summer, so it looks as though I'll be able to bum a ride.
What's better is that he's from Washington D.C., so maybe I'll be able to go back to D.C. as well... (here's to hoping)

1:36 a.m.  
Blogger Beaver said...

Great ! Glad to hear it !

10:16 a.m.  
Blogger TheMalau said...

Hi Victoria.
It is definitely a hassle.

Now try going through the student paperwork when you are male, black, African from a poor wartorn country (DR Congo), and a Muslim first name...

2:17 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Oh, yikes. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult that must be...

6:23 p.m.  
Blogger TheMalau said...

It's crazy, believe me. And the funny thing is (and this should not matter) that despite my name, I am not even Muslim!

3:37 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home