Monday, September 19, 2005

D.C., Sweet D.C.

Last Thursday --it's rather last minute, I know-- I purchased a plane ticket to visit Washington D.C. for the weekend. I arrived here on Saturday afternoon, and I'm leaving tonight. Never mind the fact that I'm missing four classes and a lab...
It's the first time I've been back to the United States since I left for Canada last August.

I had forgotten how beautiful the Nation's Capitol is. Really. I grew up in the suburbs, but, drawn by a certain National Museum of Art, I went back to see the monuments regularly. Coming back, I find myself a tourist in my own city: snapping pictures at the traditional Georgetown neighborhoods (The Exorcist, anyone?), the large marble monuments, the vast expanes of greenery... I wish I could bottle everything and take it back to Montreal for whenever I feel homesick.
Late September is the best moment to visit Washington (April, too): the weather is finally cooling down, so the humidity feels like some soft blanket that hugs you wherever you go (rather than, say, the thick jelly of August), the slanting rays make everything look like some impressionist painting... Mmm. D.C. Sweet D.C.!

4 Comments:

Blogger Beaver said...

Lucky you ! We were supposed to spend a weekend in DC before I left (like that last weekend I'd be in Baltimore prior to leaving). But given that I actually will be leaving directly from MTL, no fat chance ! Dave had been obsessing about it, so I kinda feel guilty...

8:35 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

That's a shame... Couldn't you do a day trip or something?

11:40 a.m.  
Blogger Beaver said...

No time... I fly on Saturday to Conakry... Crs is my boss now...

9:17 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, D.C. is a sweet place to live!!!!

Gros bisous.

Mom.

10:58 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home