Saturday, August 13, 2005

Smells like Madagascar

12 hours later, here I am in Antanarivo!
The flight wasn't too bad except for the two italians next to me that could not stop kissing each other. It was so gross! The entire time, I kept on trying to ignore the wet smacking noises. Eww. Thank god for Iron & Wine, I must have listened to that CD at least 6 times on the flight alone. And it's not like they were 16 and hormonal either; they were pushing on 40! I wanted to spray water on them or tell them to get a room and make babies already.
As soon as I landed, I remembered how peculiar and unique Madagascar smells. I've never smelled anything like it. It's like... 1 part spice, 1 part sweat, 1 part rain and 1 part dust. With a little bit of wood mixed into it. I kind of want to bottle it so I'll remember it when I'm in Montreal.
It's winter now which means... it's all of 10 degrees outside! To me, this is basically like summer, for I am canadia, bwahaha! The first day of spring is on August 15th, my dad's birthday.
We should be picking up our new dog this afternoon-- named Bemol for the moment, Vaza was too un-p.c.-- I hope everything goes well.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vick! Take tons of pictures again (everything is so lovely in Madagascar, or, at least, everything you take pictures of is lovely) and I can't wait to hear more about the trip once we're back in Montreal.

Miss you!
Sarah

12:12 p.m.  
Blogger Beaver said...

Vaza was un-p.c. ? Wtf does that mean ? "Un peu c**" is all I can come up with and it doesn't make sense to me...

Canadiabwahaha ? In Senegal, me some others had granted your sister honorary canadian citizenship you know. Rubs of on the family, maybe :)

Madagascar sounds amazing - dont forget to post plenty !

1:24 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

p.c. stands for politicaly correct. :D Sorry, I took the shorthand for granted!

2:08 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi victoria :-)

I love iron & wine; sam beam is amazing. If you like them, then I suggest the following imaginary mix tape for you:

Elliott Smith - Twilight
Architecture in Helsinki - Fumble
Iron & Wine - Upward Over The Mountain
Sufjan Stevens - To Be Alone With You
The Arcade Fire - Rebellion (Lies)
Elliott Smith - Between The Bars
The Beatles - Here Comes The Sun
Bright Eyes - First Day Of My Life
Better Than Ezra - At The Stars
Iron & Wine - Promising Light
The Arcade Fire - Wake Up
Elliott Smith - Waltz #2

happy belated birthdayish :-)

6:54 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Wow... Mike, every single one of the songs that I know on that mix I love (did you know that the AF come from Montreal?)!
Thanks so much!
You should try d/ling "your ex-lover is dead" by the Stars (another awesome Montreal band).

2:19 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an awesome song! Do you have any more suggestions? I love finding new music.

Yup, the AF are an amazing Canadian band. I saw them live once. They are the best live band I've ever seen. Second comes The Decemberists and third is Sam Beam.

I recorded a version of upward over the mountain; if you're interested click here. It was a kind of spontaneous thing and not well done, but whatever.

8:15 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Mike, do you know Damien Rice? His song Delicate may be my favorite song. Ever. Otherwise, before I left Montreal, I was starting to listen to Blur, they're a really interesting band. I like their "This is a low". And if you like the Decemberists, you'd like Neutral Milk Hotel :)

10:17 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home