Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Addiction

Well now that I think about it, there isn't that much to add on the fire. It was really creepy because I was in the phytotron when it happened.
A word on the phytotron: it's a very isolated, very loud (because of the humm of the growth chambers), very cold-warish room. It's at the end of this out-door ramp that connects the south and the west buildings of Steward Bio, and to access it you have to punch in a combination into the door. So anyway, there I was, staking plants (easily the crumiest thing to do ever), when lights start flashing and a very shrill alarm starts going off. Rather confused, I stumble out of the phytotron into to corridor, which is completly deserted. I seriously had no idea what was going on; I'd never participated in a fire drill, and the alarm going off could mean that plutonium was loose in the building for all I knew. So I head over to the ramp, which, because it is made of glass, gave me a very good view of the courtyard below. That's when I saw a conglomeration of people down below: some had grabbed their bags and coats, other stumbled out in just their lab coats. That's about the moment I decided to leave the building!
Once outside, people tended to group together according to their labs. We learned that a worker was welding on the 6th floor (there's contruction going on at the moment), when a spark caught the insulation and a fire started. We couldn't see any flames, but when they finally let us back into the building an hour later, we could definetly smell the smoke! I'm glad no one panicked, and that everything went smoothly. We had to wait an hour outside while they extinguished the fire, but we distracted ourselves by telling lab horror stories. It seems that everyone had one, be it chemical spills, explosions, or fire...
Anyway, right now I'm enjoying my last weeks in Montreal. On one hand, I really want to be back with my family and just sleep, and on the other, well, Montreal rocks. I'm rather torn. Also, I've gotten addicted to the T.V. show 24. Again! We're watching season two... Jack Bauer is such a badass.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

yay, a new post! well have fun seeing your family.

3:28 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Yeah, seeing as how you're grounded, maybe I should post more often?

8:19 p.m.  
Blogger 007 in Africa said...

Oh no! Are all the pot plants ruined? Did people get high when they reentered the building (you know, the fumes...). Haha, just kidding.

3:29 a.m.  
Blogger Kate said...

not to bug you, but could we have a new post? it could just be something short.

12:18 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're off to Madagascar then? Lucky duck...
-Ammo

10:31 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home