Monday, June 06, 2005

Flake!

I haven't been swing dancing in more than two weeks now. Ok, to most sane people, this may not seem like a long time at all, but this is actually the longest I haven't gone dancing since I went home to Madagascar in December (and even then, I managed to snatch a dance or two at some stuffy dinner). So around 8 o'clock tonight, I learned that the Jello Shots (the best swing band in Montreal--I've seen them several times) were playing at this venue called the Jello Bar (completely unrelated to the actually band!), a small bar with lava lamps and nifty furniture that makes it look like it has remained unchanged for the past four decades. It was too late to convince any of my friends to come dancing with me, so I decided to brave it alone. Feeling oddly nervous (not only because I was alone but also because I haven't danced in two weeks), I walked all the way there, paid the cover, took a deep breath and stepped in. Well! The band was taking a break and not a single couple could be seen on the dance floor. Warily, I walked around, looking for anyone, ANYONE familiar. No bust! What's worse is that the only seat available were tables, or large couches. Everyone had either come with a date or in a large group, and people were lounging around chatting softly to on another. So I panicked. I whirled back (at least my swing skirt had some use!), went to the front, asked for my money back, and ran home. Uh. It's crazy; all of a sudden my heart was beating and I felt scared and alone, as though I didn't know a single soul in Montreal. Now I'm home, and my body still feels like dancing but I'm too ashamed to go back. I'll make it next week!

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

aw, too bad you didn't get to dance!!! well i hope it turns out awesome next time you go.

i was thinking of taking swing dancing lessons. it's really fun. my brother even said he'd do it with me, but he's just never around.

11:22 a.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Swing dancing is one of my favorite hobbies. If you go to a club, you'll notice that everyone is smiling. How often does that happen? It's a natural aphrodisiac.

11:59 a.m.  
Blogger 007 in Africa said...

Well it takes a lot of nerves to go to a cool club alone. I don't think I've ever done it. Do it often enough and surely you'll start recognizing SOMEONE (even if it's just the waiter rolling his eyes)

10:52 a.m.  
Blogger Kate said...

waiting, waiting, waiting for a new post...

11:54 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, as the old song goes, it's your party and you can cry if you want to, cry if you want to, cry if you want to...

I think it's so cool you went. Next time, try to stay!

Bisous, from U know who

(AKA Dad)

2:43 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home