Thursday, April 05, 2007

En Avril, ne te decouvre pas d'un fil.

Holy snowstorms, batman! I knew it was a mistake to put away my snow boots. Canada, you wily knave!

In other news, today was the last class of Evo-devo. Disreagarding the inherent weirdness of it being one of my last classes in university, it was arguably one of the best I've had at McGill.
The way it's structured, one student presents a topic for roughly one and a half hours, and the entire class then discusses it for the next hour and a half.

This time, after Marie-Julie wrapped up her (excellent) presentation, she suggested we head over to Thomson House (the graduate club) after class for a beer. Our teachers, Hans and Ehab, started whispering to each other. Then, Hans proposed: "Well, we don't we pre-emptively move the discussion to Thomson House?".
All twenty of us packed our books in the blink of an eye and set off through the snow.

There, to a soundtrack of the Eagles, we pushed tables together, bought pitchers, and discussed gene regulatory networks.

And wouldn't you know it? It was one of the best discussions we've had all year! We actually managed to stay on topic (mostly), and it extended far longer than usual.

Among the great quotes of the afternoon were:
Hans (who was knocking them back): "The whole genome is on fire!"
(later) Hans: "Damn, you're pleiotropic!"
(Context: he said he was hoping we'd remember and use the concepts we'd acquired in Evo-Devo.)
Lastly, we decided as a class to fund further research on Cnidarians in Hawaii. Our rally cry will be: "Screw the whales! Save the jellies!"

...Okay, so maybe you had to be there to find it funny. Or maybe you have to be incredibly nerdy. Probably both!

7 Comments:

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

I agree. EVERYONE is into saving the whales. But nobody is sticking up for jellyfish.

Ill bet they feel left out. This is why they sting people.

6:00 a.m.  
Blogger Saur said...

Both! And I love it. I think Lazy's on to something, BTW.

9:48 a.m.  
Blogger Saur said...

P.S. I added you to my links.

9:48 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believed you just used the expression 'wily knave'... hahahaha...

10:36 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Wow Iguana, that was truly touching. You handle our publicity ;)

Thanks, Saur! I can't believe all of the blogs you manage to keep up with!

Tootoo, haha, that's definetly something I picked up from Dan. I'm beginning to sound like an extra member of the Decemberists!

12:34 a.m.  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Done. But I will require one of those free luxury homes paid for by that rich Japanese dude. Secure me one of those and Ill move to Hawaii next week.

1:13 p.m.  
Blogger 007 in Africa said...

Yeah...

3:45 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home