Sunday, March 18, 2007

St. Patrick's Day Manhunt

Oi! So sorry about the delay, I've been a bit lazy/busy lately.
I hope you all had a lovely St. Patrick's day-- mine consisted of a delightfully wholesome evening of fondue and euchre with friends. I couldn't have asked for better.

On Sunday however, things got a little bit more interesting. My friend Heather and I headed down town, among the throngs of people who had amassed there to watch the St. Patrick's Day parade. Although we did stick around to watch it, Heather and I had something entirely different to attend: a manhunt.

Now what is a manhunt, you ask? It's a bit like an urban game of hide and seek, mixed with a dash of tag. Basically, a group of twenty or so individuals meet up at a rendez-vous point. There, the organizers hand out highly visible arm bands, which all of the players are required to wear. The rules are explained and the boundaries delineated (roughly 3x3 blocks). Then, one hunter is designated. His (or her!) role is to stalk the other players and tag them. If you get tagged, you become a hunter as well. But here's the twist: there's no way of distinguishing hunters from huntees!

Let me tell you, this is one tense game. Here I am, prowling through parking lots, sliding down snow drifts, scoping out the drunken revelers suspiciously, when my heart tries to beat out of my chest: in front of me, blocking my way down an alley, is another arm-band wearing player. We eye each other warily as we cross each other. I try to bluff, adding a little swagger to my step, hoping to pass off as a hunter. But no dice; the man starts sprinting, and I'm not fast enough to outrun him.

I can't wait until the next game! I will definetly be practicing my stealth skills in anticipation. Hey, I'm a 007, right?

6 Comments:

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Sounds like a blast! You got me wanting to play now.

How much is air fare?

6:05 p.m.  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Oh yea - next time hide behind the stinky dumpster. Nobody will want to look there.

6:06 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Actually, the winner hid behind a dirty mattress, so I think you've got the right idea.
I wouldn't be surprised to find out manhunt exist in Florida-- they seem to be quite the phenomenon!

6:30 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

euchre = win!
I rarely ever have the chance to play and always end up forgetting all the rules. :( My neighbourhood (well, all the houses on the loop) used to have this mad euchre tournament every year. Everyone would show up at the host's house and they'd play for HOURS. They had all these crazy homemade trophies that people would add to each year.

5:36 p.m.  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Can you hide in a bathroom stall, or is that illegal in the game?

5:19 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

It's illegal. You can't run old ladies over, and you aren't allowed to go inside any buildings.
Euchre IS awesome! I'm so glad I finally remembered the rules, this time around. We should have tournaments in Montreal...

6:04 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home