Thursday, February 22, 2007

Reading Week

Canadians are too cool for Spring Break: they get reading week instead (I think it's because it'd be preposterous to call mid-February Spring).
Most people take this week off as a great opportunity to follow the birds and fly South. I had rough plans to go to Quebec City, New Orleans, or Washington D.C., yet here I am, still in Montreal.

It's a bit of a ghost-town right now. I love it when the city gets empty-- strange friendships form, as people look for ways to fare off loneliness. We act as surrogate-roommates for each other: spontaneously showing up at each other's doors, clutching a salad, or a batch of cookies, asking only for an evening of company.

It's been relaxing.
Good times have included:
-Snowboarding in the best conditions I've ever seen-- 80 cm's worth of fresh, fresh snow;
-Sharing a box of "Victoria sushi", watching BBC's great Blue Planet series, and imagining what the animals would say if they could talk;
-Attempting to go the Apples in Stereo show, only to find it cancelled due to illness (a.k.a. those silly New Yorkers couldn't face the cold), and retreating back home to bake midnight chocolate-chip cookies;
-Discovering oodles of new places, new music, new study-nooks;
-Race-sliding down Mount Royal, muffled in a thick snowfall...

6 Comments:

Blogger Beaver said...

It's funny how sometimes what you are describing si SO different from my memories of reading week. Oh wait - that's because I was living at my parents'.

I miss Montreal. Duh.`

11:36 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're better off having stayed in Montreal!
So what is "Victoria sushi" like? I just learned how to make sushi today actually... I think I'll stick to carry-out :)
If animals could talk, they'd say "get the h*ll off our planet!" :)
-AMmo

1:01 a.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Victoria sushi (it's actually called that--I didn't make it) consists of ... um... rice, avocado, tempura, and tuna, I think? There were some sesame seeds in there too. It was delish!

1:33 a.m.  
Blogger 007 in Africa said...

I initially read nerdy-nooks instead of study-nooks. Though the first one seems appropriate...

9:06 a.m.  
Blogger Buffy said...

Reading week must be a Commong Wealth thing.

I'm jealous that you get to snow bard. That you CAN, in fact, in the first ptlace.

7:33 a.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Haha Buffy, I really can't but I do try. It hurts but I love it!

1:06 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home