Saturday, March 10, 2007

Yes, endotrophectoderm is a real word.

I'm having major angst about graduating.

I find myself waking up in the middle of the night, covered in a cold sweat, screaming No! No, I'm too young to graduate!

After three years, my undergraduate career is coming to an end. While it seems unfair and premature to finish after only three years, I also feel as though it's impossible to deny that the show's over. We are all packing up, looking forward to bright and exciting futures, too distracted and troubled to be able to focus on anything concrete like, say, school work.

So. I am going to pretend that I've matured and learned important Life Lessons during my time in Montreal, that I am now a B.Sc. graduate and not completely worthless. I will put my framed diploma on my wall and gaze at it as I try to remember what, exactly, an endotrophectoderm is. I will convince myself that without the vibrant city life-style, without the snails and the fabulous hairdresser, without the witty, intellectual and inspirational friends, I am still Victoria.

How much of your personality is dependent on your surroundings? Will moving back to D.C. induce a regression-- will I mysteriously sprout braces and develop an awkward, adolescent gait?



7 Comments:

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

You are getting a degree in Science and you are moving to DC? Do not let the neo-con fundie anti-science people run you off! They make people like you sign documents that state you believe the Earth is 6,000 years old, that Noah's flood created the Grand Canyon in 2 weeks, and that all the climate change research was made up by Al Gore and does not really exist. Oh yea you are also not allowed to mention polar bears without authorization.

Miami-Dade County Department of Environmental Resources Management is looking for pollution control inspectors. Starting pay is $34,055 and the maximum is $57,033. But there is pollution control inspector level 2 and 3 (more pay), supervisors, lab techs, and so on to move into.

They are also looking for hydrologist 2 ($38,944 - $65,750), hydrologist 3 ($47,164 - $79,274), and other stuff.

If hired, you would spend at least part of your time on lovely Biscayne Bay taking water samples.

They sometimes look for chemists to work in the lab, those jobs pay very well due to the specialized knowledge one must have.

http://www.miamidade.gov/jobs/search_jobs.asp

Good luck. DERM is where I want to work, but my degree is not in science. I screwed the pooch getting a degree in business admin.

5:11 p.m.  
Blogger Reading the District said...

i'm glad you'll be in dc! also, i linked your blog to mine, hope that's alright by you. i think you'll stay quite like victoria, if not a slightly DC-ified version -- i'm sure it'll be fine.

6:08 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Yay linkage love! I was just about to add you too.

7:20 p.m.  
Blogger 007 in Africa said...

Lol, fear not, gentle Victoria...In my mind you have always been and always will remain the pimply adolescent we all love!

4:35 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Hah, thanks sister dear. I feel so comforted :P
Thanks for info, Lazy! I actually intend on going on to study medicine rather than biology. However, I may take a year (or more) off before then, so it's always nice to look at job options...

8:12 a.m.  
Blogger Beaver said...

One word : jealousy. *sigh*

4:51 p.m.  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Medicine is a good idea I guess. Hospital doctors work long hours. But I suppose every occupation has a dark side.

You can shoot your resume to Miami-Dade DERM if you think you might want to try living in South Florida. DERM needs people, and the County has good job benefits.

3:38 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home