Thursday, May 10, 2007

On a more positive note...

After the initial culture shock (people speak loudly here; the pepperoni pizzas look funny; I seem to have skipped Spring entirely), here are a few positive points:

-The weather! I love how warm and humid it is. I guess I ain't notting but a Southern gal.
-Driving. I'd forgotten how nice driving is.
-The lushness. Everywhere I look, it's green.
-The culture. For example, tonight, I just saw the U.S. and British poetry laureats read at the Library of Congress. D.C. can be pretty cool sometimes!

Here's my favourite of the evening:

GOLD
Pale gold of the walls, gold
of the centers of daisies, yellow roses
pressing from a clear bowl. All day
we lay on the bed, my hand
stroking the deep
gold of your thighs and your back.
We slept and woke
entering the golden room together,
lay down in it breathing
quickly, then
slowly again,
caressing and dozing, your hand sleepily
touching my hair now.
We made in those days
tiny identical rooms inside our bodies
which the men who uncover our graves
will find in a thousand years,
shining and whole.

--Donald Hall

5 Comments:

Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

I think your blog needs a new title. And a new tag line. Day to day information about what's going on in good ol' Montreal is not exactly cutting it anymore.

I got a new boat. A power cat! I am going to name it toxoplasmosis.

12:30 a.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Shhh! I'm still living in denial. I'll change it when I have the heart to.
Congratulations on the new boat! What is the story behind the name?
I had a shisha in Montreal; I named it Infidel Castro. Aha. Ahaha.

10:21 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You people are weird.... Welcome back by the way :)
-Ammo

11:37 a.m.  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Come on biology science person! You know what toxoplasmosis is.

The boat is a CATamaran design. I know I know, bad joke. But I thought that making "Cat Box" jokes was just too obvious. But yes I did go there anyway. Cheap laughs are better than no laughs at all.

By the way, you are still listed under my "international blogs" link list. Until you get used to being back here and CBP officers are not rude to you anymore.

12:02 p.m.  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

D.E.R.M. is still looking for peeps BTW. They must be really hard up, the jobs have been posted for a while now.

3:52 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home