Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Kingston

Hey everyone!
Am I already getting lazy with updates? This could be a bad sign. Luckily, lots has happened, so I won't be completly lost as to what I should write about.
I've started working (*coughvolounteercough*) for my genetics professor Thursdays and Fridays. I was a little nervous on Thursday, but everything went well. Dr. Western was really nice, showed me around the lab, the Phytotron Room (which is really scary), bought me my own shiny notebook in the store (it's very exciting-- I got to write "Victoria Bond, Tamara Western's lab, March 2005" on it), and even took me to the biology graduate students' seminar. I got to sit down, and listen to the graduate student give presentations about what they're researching, why it's important, etc. etc. Funnily enough, the presentations tended to deteriorate into teachers bickering to each other (while defending their pet graduates) about which technique was better-- gene knock out or manipulation during embryogenesis... you get the idea. I'm pretty sure I was the youngest person by far, and didn't understand most of what was said, but Dr. Western did explain a few of the techniques that were mentioned repeatedly.
I'm not sure I want to do research. It's scary.
I also went to Kingston for the weekend, to go see my best friend Chantal. It was awesome! I got to walk around downtown, go to the spring markets, walk on lake Ontario, go see a play... I've been thinking about acting very New-Yorkish (*coughsnootycough*) and making Kingston my "country week-end get-away", for when I need a break from the Big City. (Chantal, don't kill me! I'm only kidding). But seriously, it was nice to relax, forget about ...everything for a while, and finaly see the stars at night. Living in a city is strange that way. I also got to see a play called "Meltdown" which was written by one of Chantal's teachers. It was... unsual. Very fun though, it told the story of Iquarus and Minos in certainly the most interesting way I have ever seen it (Imagine: Minos speaking to Posseidon using a gizmo called Godspeak, Iquarus being responsible for Serenity's pregnancy, and finally Iquarus performing a rap as he's flying to his doom).
Haha, on a side note, I have 17 hours of lab this week! My organic chemistry labs are over as of this week though, which is sad because they were fun in their own unsual way, largely thanks to my infamous lab partner Beata --but I did sign up for Psyc labs as extra credit. It's fun; they refer to me as "the experiment", and they don't inject anything in me, so I'm a happy girl ;).
OK, well it's time for me to treck up to Steward...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teachers bickering huh ? I guess it's all the same everywhere. I remember law teachers pushing at their pet students for the plead contest like they were race horses ! kinda sick in a way I guess...

Marie

6:28 a.m.  
Blogger 007 in Africa said...

Isn't Kingston cool? See I told ya you should have gone there...On a side note, I was also attracted to research for the shiny new notebooks, erlenmeyer flasks, nerdy plastic goggles and pocket protectors. But trust me girl, it ain't that great once you're in it. There's something for everyone I guess.

9:17 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home