Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Back in the Distirict

Augh, I am so sorry I have been neglecting this blog. It's been an action-packed few days!

Because my supervisor granted me some extra time off, I decided to take the bus up to Boston for a few days, then spend a week in Montreal before enduring the grueling 15 hour bus ride back down to D.C.

Surprisingly though, I decided to bus down a day or two two earlier than I had anticipated.

As amazing as Montreal was, I no longer live there. And to be honest, having to drift from couch to couch and eat out all the time weighed down on me. As much as I'd like it to be, Montreal is no longer my home, and I'm going to have to face that fact. It isn't easy.

I still check the weather in Montreal every day (it still sucks). And scan for interesting concerts (of which there are many). And receive news-letters on where the hot spots to swing dance are.

And I certainly still feel far more at home there than I do here. When I walk in the streets of Montreal, people react to me. I can smile at a stranger, and they will smile right back. Or sometimes even start a conversation. I have 'mojo' in Montreal, which is pretty much non existent here. In D.C., people are so engrossed in themselves that they don't even seem to notice people around them. It's easy to feel isolated.

But I've got to start making an effort. I didn't last month, and was miserable. Things are already starting to look up; I'm going to start helping out at this horse farm I used to work at in high school, I've (tentatively) contacted a few acquaintances from high school, and I've even started scanning for interesting concerts here (of which there are few).

Hey, it's a start, right?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time re-adapting to D.C.... But I'm sure things will look up soon! D.C. has lots of hidden charms :). And, if worst comes to worst, you can always move back to Montreal (or visit NY :).
-Ammo

8:44 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ey, coming back "home" is always a little difficult, but it's time to put into practice in your own place the many things you've learnt in this years in Montreal. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Greetings from Seville.

1:39 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Thanks Ammo! I may take you up on the offer, I haven't explored NYC nearly enough... but I think I haven't explored DC enough either, to its credit. This summer will give me a chance to work on that. :)
Jon, you're right, of course! It's just difficult... when I'm here, it (almost) feels like Montreal never happened. But I know that isn't true. PS: I went to a Turkish restaurant last night, it was awesome! I'll take you there when you come visit. ;)

11:17 p.m.  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Maybe Montreal is your home, you just happen to live in Washington DC.

10:36 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home