Friday, May 18, 2007

Lab moment

So I seem to have this habit of having one truly mortifying lab moment in every lab I start working in.

I think this one may take the cake, but I'm going to let you, gentle readers, be the judge of that.

My friend Chris and I have a bit of a bet going on. Each of us claims that the lab we're working in now is messier than the other's. A few days ago, he upped the ante by actually snapping pictures of the mess. Not to be shown up, I naturally grabbed my camera with the intention of proving to him that my lab was, in fact, messier than his lab.

So here I am, surrepticiously snapping photos while my co-worker Jason has stepped out for a few minutes. But I wasn't fast enough-- and he walks in on me taking pictures of the mess! For a second, we both freeze: I look like a 4 year old who's been caught with his hand in the cookie jar, and Jason just has this striken look, still clutching the door knob, as though he's contemplating just leaving the lab and pretending this never happened. Then he grins.

Him (with a wicked Australian accent): Ah, so you're taking pictures of the mess, are you?
Me (voice high-pitched with embarassement): Ahahaha! No no of course not! I always take pictures of the labs I work in!
Him: ...Right. 'What a good lab should not look like'.

We had ourselves a good laugh. But since then, I haven't brought my camera to work, and he's started cleaning up.

Here are the pictures.
First, Chris' lab:



I have to admit that he's got a point. It's a total mess.

Now mine:

This is a picture of the fume hood I work in. Everything is meant to be sterile, but as it is, I'm terrifyed of knocking over the precarious tower of nasty looking tubes.

Why so many chairs? There are only two of us in the lab, and Jason has his own office! Maybe it's because the pink chairs are too crusty to actually be used. At this point, Jason walked in before I could take truly incriminating pictures. But note the scary-looking fridge in the back. Good luck finding anything in there!

8 Comments:

Blogger 007 in Africa said...

That is the funniest story I've heard of in a while...I can just see you shrinking with embarrasment!

10:56 a.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Yeah, the blushing was pretty out of control!

7:22 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)... Honestly it's hard to say which lab is messier... But I guess I'll say you win because otherwise 007 will whack me.
-Ammo

10:49 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I have to go with Chris. His mess has a certain, er, 'artistic flair' to it. He will no doubt accomplish more (assuming he can find what he needs) whereas you and Jason spend most of your time wondering which one of you will knock over the test tube rack. (You should really prop that up with pencils.)

7:40 a.m.  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

So who won?

I would have added in some coffee cups and stuff for dramatic effect.

2:03 a.m.  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

OH YEA! Empty used pie tins. Nothing says "what a horrible mess" like empty used pie tins.

The Miami-Dade DERM lab is spick and span. Just saying.

9:37 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

I think Chris has won this round. But that's only because my pictures fail to convey to true mess that is my current work space.
I'm really amused by how you manage to tie-in DERM with almost every single one of my posts.

10:29 p.m.  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

I secretly want to work there, but they say I am "not qualified". But I know I can operate a DERM boat without running aground. And I can take water samples. No problem. Really - how hard is to to take a lousy sample? Just stick a jar overboard and collect the water! There! Done!

But they say I am not qualified. I did not major in "collecting water in a jar" in college.

12:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home