Friday, December 29, 2006

Read a book

I rarely watch movies at home. This is great, because it means I read many books instead. Yesterday, however, I realized why it is that I never watch movies at home. As I described it in an email to a friend...

A scene:
[VICTORIA sees The Constant Gardener is playing on TV, and sits down to watch.]
[FATHER barrels through living room to get to garage, leaving both doors open. Cold air gusts in and opera music can be heard, distinctly, from another room. VICTORIA gets up and closes both doors.]
[BROTHER comes in with laptop and starts playing video game.]
VIC: Will, I'm watching a movie. Can't you put headphones on?
BRO: I don't have any. Can you get me yours?
[VICTORIA stubbornly refuses and tries to listen despite video game noises. MOTHER enters and sets up a table directly in front of the TV.]
MOM: Je te derange, la?
VIC(Fully aware that saying yes would result in helping my mother prepare for a cocktail party later that afternoon): Noooon, pas du tout. Je t'en prie, continue.
[MOTHER looks at the TV and sits down]
MOM: Hein? Qu'est ce qui se passe? C'est qui, elle?
VIC: C'est la femme de l'homme.
MOM: Pourquoi elle fait ca?
[VICTORIA tries to explain an hour's worth of the movie to MOTHER, and fails]
[FATHER barrels through the living room again. VICTORIA gets up to close the doors.]
[Phone rings. And rings. And rings. VICTORIA gets up to answer the telemarketer.]
[VICTORIA sits back down, realizes she has no idea what's going on anymore]
[FATHER barrels through, notices the Constant Gardener is playing]
DAD: Oh! This is a great movie. Has (reveals major plotline) happened yet?
[VICTORIA exit]

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROTFL :). You have my sympathy!
Ammo

10:35 a.m.  
Blogger MissRancher said...

Bwahahahah I can totally picture all of that perfectly!! Ah, I miss you guys!

11:04 a.m.  
Blogger Beaver said...

Family. Can't live with them - can't live without them.

I will never say it enough :o)

Happy NY to you !

6:56 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Happy New Years to you too, Beaver!
Yes Michelle, I should have added that this description is in no way exaggerated ;) You need to come back for lunch!

8:06 p.m.  
Blogger MissRancher said...

Haha, name the time and I will be there! :-)

2:42 p.m.  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

I can relate to this. I think almost everyone can.

what I get to put up with mostly is people insisting on using the cell phone while I am watching TV. It is a CELL PHONE. There are no wires. It will work anywhere in a 100 mile radius. You can be in the bathroom. On the roof. In the yard. Down the street. Or the recliner next to the sofa where I am trying to watch a movie or whatever.

7:46 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Yes Iguana, I think anyone with a family (or even very good friends) knows exactly the frustration that I was trying to convey. I'm just grateful I've never had anyone answer a cell phone when I'm watching a movie!

10:29 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jajaja... ¡Great!

It's lovely coming back home after some time of independence. :)

Happy new year, Vick!

10:43 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home