Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Internet, meet Brenda

It's been a bit of a rough day (week), so today after my shift at the hospital, all I wanted to do was sit on my couch and play with my giant African snails, Brenda.

Then I realized-- why I've never introduced them to you! What a goof.
So here goes: Internet, meet my giant African snails, Brenda.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Aren't they darling? I started off with 5, but many of my friends have requested one, so now only one of them is technically mine.

Since they were a bit hard to tell apart at first, I named them all Brenda. Now though, I've renamed the largest one Henry Kissinger, the second largest Leonid Brezhnev, the darkest one Percy, and the remaining one stays as Brenda (my friends Robin and Owen adopted the 5th and renamed it a very politically incorrect Charles Taylor).

I've already posted about these kinds of snail before. Well, I loved them so much that I decided to adopt some of my very own!

These snails are illegal in the United States because they'll eat any vegetation in large quantities. Additionaly, they're hermaphrodites and are able to lay thousands of eggs each. Yikes! Talk about an invasive species.

I love them though. They've settled very nicely in my apartment and really add to the decor, I think.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

They're pretty much the best pet ever. The can survive weeks without being fed or watered, and obviously don't make much noise. They also give great massages:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Who wouldn't want a giant African snail as a pet?

4 Comments:

Blogger Beaver said...

Your friend does look slightly skeptical... But what the heck!

Isn't the massage a bit... goowy ?

9:22 a.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Nah, Jiajia loves them too. She invites herself over to hold them all the time.
Yes, but I'm convinced their slime is an excellent moisterizer.

3:15 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Who wouldn't want a giant African snail as a pet? "
Er.... me? :)
So why aren't they illegal in Canada too? Too cold for them to survive in the wild?
-Ammo

9:37 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We once had an amoeba as a pet but it was a bit small to be much fun.

12:28 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home