Sunday, January 08, 2006

Happy New Year!

I wish you all a Happy 2006!
Funny, I still think of the 2000s as space agey... the sci fi stories of my childhood promised me hover crafts, time machines and universal spikey hairdos by now. What a let down!
As for resolutions, mine are to call my family more often (the weeks of no news are a thing of the past), and at least attempt to read some books during the school year. As soon as my classes pick up, my reading drops pathetically. But not this year! What are yours?
My vacation was absolutely amazing, if not entirely restful. My father's side of the family was having a big reunion in South Africa, so I finally got to see them again (ten years later!) or, in some cases, meet them. Family is amazing. Here are people I hardly know, by normal standards, and yet feel so much for. I discover that some of my quirky mannerisms aren't that quirky after all-- that it all runs in the family. What a wonderful feeling. I just hope that I won't have to wait ten more years to see them again...
I also stopped by Madagascar as well. It's really shocking to have to travel from Madagascar to South Africa: the two countries are so close geographically, but development-wise could be seperated by decades. Antananarivo is as it always is: a sensory overload. A jumble of shacks, children with dirty mouths, pousse-pousses, tire sellers, darting chikens, crumbling colonial houses, busy streets... there's just too much to take in all at once. Every moment I spent there was tinged with the vague feeling that this might be the last time I will get to experience this; I most likely won't be going back this summer...
Now I'm back in Montreal, and the weather is actually warmer than I expected! I really shouldn't jinx it though. Ironically enough, when I went to South Africa I missed my friends and Montreal, but now that I'm here I miss the amazing beaches and my family! I guess you just can't have it all.

PS: Does my blog still look strange? When I check it on my laptop it looks fine, but when I was in Madagascar the posts were displayed at the bottom of the page.

7 Comments:

Blogger 007 in Africa said...

Yes it still looks weird...all your posts are on the bottom, making it look like there are no posts at all!

9:02 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Vicky, Happy New Year!
I hope you got your luggage back - Air France lost mine on my way to France (with all of my Christmas presents!) but I got it back 2 days later. If you haven't, make sure they compensate you in some way - I managed to get a trousse de toilette and a XL Air France night-shirt. After 2 days, they are supposed to give you money though.
I see your blog fine - both on Opera and Firefox.

3:08 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm using Firefox and your posts are appearing as they normally do. The most recent one is at the top and then so on. I'll go check in IE - okay, in IE momentarily appears normal and when the page finishes loading, it moves directly underneath "Archives". It's probably blogger and a small coding error or something like that on their part.

I can't wait to hear about your trip when I see you tonight!

7:33 p.m.  
Blogger Beaver said...

Hey :)

In Explorer, your blog still looks strange. I think it has to do with your pictures being a wee bit too big. The simple solution is to go back to the post and resize the pictures just a bit.

Another solution is to keep posting and eventually, the pic posts will be achived and your blog will look like itself again.

(anyway, just a stupid theory)

My resolution this year is to take full advantage of my freedom, stop eating meat and start exercising.

Cheers!

7:41 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Stop eating meat?! Oh my, I could never do that. Being french an' all :). I think it might be the pictures as well, so I guess I'll take that as motivation to post more often... there should be a post on my frist day at work coming up.

1:16 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our family went on a hover craft from Nice to Cannes in 1968. It felt pretty space-agey then!
Happy New Year!

8:52 p.m.  
Blogger 007 in Africa said...

I think Beaver may be right bc I checked earlier months and there was not the same problem. If it is a problem with picture size, just go back to your post and find the place in the code where it says "large" and change to "small". Hope it works!

12:08 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home