Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Long weekend of insanity

I pretty much had the worst, longest weekend ever.

A friend of mine ended up pretty knocked up (due mostly to gravity) so I spent all of saturday night and sunday at the hospital.
What makes the situation worse was that we were meant to go to a concert together, but the bouncer wouldn't let my roomate or me in because our tickets were ripped, so he sacrificed his concert to stay with us instead. As my roomate said: "A good deed never goes unpunished".
It was pretty scary when it happened though-- at first we didn't think he was doing too badly, but when he started throwing up and forgetting things, we promptly called an ambulance.
Well, at least spending the better part of day in a hospital gave me a taste for what it will be like, didn't it? I found the nurses incredibly rude-- not only did they not tell us once what was going on (we ended up waiting from 2 A.M. to 6 A.M. before they told us that we shouldn't have waited this whole time and might as well go home while the test results get processed), but when I snuck in to check up my friend, I found a nurse repeating instructions to him in french. Now, my friend doesn't understand french, had a concussion and trouble speaking, and you could just tell that he was getting more and more flustered and confused. I intervened, explaining that no, he clearly cannot speak french, and could he at least try to speak to him in english? The nurse just curled his lip at me and told me to translate instead. Arghhh! Go quebec for hanging on to your culture, but a hospital is not the place to do it.
Anyway. The night feels like a dream-- the three of us (my roomate, his roomate, and I) didn't really feel time pass; it's been more like this long, long experience. When I finally fell assleep I just passed out and drooled all over my pillow. Now I have lots of strange pictures on my camera and snippets of sleepless conversations from various moments in the night playing over and over in my head. All I can hope for is that in a year or two, we'll all laugh about this...
It didn't exactly help matters that at the time that all of this happened, our apartment was FULL of mostly strangers (my friend from high school had come over to Montreal for the weekend with her roomates and their significant others in tow); such bad timming!

Now I'm behind on my readings and freaking out about impending midterms. Time for a run to the library!

2 Comments:

Blogger Victoria said...

My friends have all been going on and on about that movie. It's definetly going to be the one I'll rent.

7:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo, so sorry about this weekend... sorry we were in the way.

Tootoo

7:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home