Thursday, October 27, 2005

First hints of snow

Ah, midterms are over! Or near enough, anyway (I have one next week... but it is optional). Now that I have time to, you know, shower and stuff, I'm undergoing some sort of Renaissance.
In the past week alone, I've cooked boeuf bourguignon, cog au vin, quiche, salad (vegetables, how I missed thee), tuna steak...
Mmmm! Most of it is frozen now in anticipation for the harsh finals period ahead, but still, eating well again was amazing. They're simply no comparison: when the food is good, you're compelled to eat less and reach a whole new level of satisfaction. And you feel less gross.
I swear, if I had had to eat one more pizza and/or peanut butter sandwich I would have screamed.
I went for lunch on tuesday to the Midnight Kitchen: it's this free, vegan lunch offered cooked by students, for students. They go to supermarkets and ask for the produce that would be thrown away at the end of the day, and cook MASSIVE quantities of delicious, vegan food. The whole kitchen works on donations and volounteers. Tuesday there was curried chickpeas, granola crumble, beats with carrots, and grapes! Yum!
In other news, there are the first rumors of snow set for today. We should be on the lookout for flurries... All my Canadian friends are giddy as schoolgirls, rubbing their mittened hands and going on and on about toboganing and snowmen; the rest of us (also know as the Sane Ones) just groan in anticipation of this first, irrefutable sign of winter.
Halloween in monday! We should really get around to buying some tacky decorations at the dollar store, or carve out pumpkins. We'll see what happens this year. Alot of my friends are just completly burnt out or still have to study for midterms (for some reason, this year seems to be alot tougher on everyone), so it will probably end up being a pretty quiet Halloween...

Thanks Garci for posting on my guestmap! I love your blog (I just wish I could read spanish better...).

5 Comments:

Blogger Beaver said...

Eeek! Snow !

You just reminded me of what awaits me when I go home for Christmas. Ambivalent feelings invade me as I type in this comment.

I haven't seen snow in a year and a half.

I hate being cold.

I love snow-covered landscapes.

I despise having the flu, though it's a permanent condition for me in Canada...

Call me crazy, I think I'm excited to see snow for Christmas !

7:45 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm getting giddier with every second...
But it's supposed to warm up for the weekend...booo...

9:39 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

You crazy Canuks are all the same!

12:16 a.m.  
Blogger James Bond said...

Dear green-haired girl,

It's spring here in the Southern hemisphere, and the lemurs are bouncing around... no snow for them! Vegan food -- I can relate to that. I only eat vegan chickens and cows, so does that make me a vegan? Or perhaps a vegan once removed? (A bit like cousins.)

Bisous from the coconut tree at the end of the world.

4:17 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote part 2 of the Romance Novel essay, it's on xanga! You must read. Though it's not as good as the first one...

8:33 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home