Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Oh Finals

My life right now:
Wake up, study with Beata, get lunch to go and study, study some more, take a Timmy Ho's break (I have learned to worship the caffeine god!), study, have dinner, and study until I fall asleep.
Riveting, isn't it? My eternal study buddy is Beata, and I've been with her so much recently-- I wake her up or vice versa, she comes over until late in the night--, that we're beginning to pick up on each others' mannerisms. Creepy!
So not much is going on in my life right now. My brain is completely preoccupied with work, and everything else has been put on pause until next Thursday. In fact, I haven't been swing dancing in more than a week, egad!
I did take a break last weekend to go to a concert on Saturday. I went to see the Stars, my current favorite band, at the "Juste pour Rire" theater on Ontario. The venue was ideal; small and personal, and because we'd gotten there early, we managed to snatch a table on the upper level and watch the band's antics from above. Perhaps the best thing about the venue was that it was completely smoke free. It almost seemed wrong to emerge from the concert and not reek of smoke! The band sounded amazing live; I hadn't thought the girl's voice could be that... beautiful in real life, but I wasn't disappointed in the least. Since they're from Montreal, they were really pumped and the vibe great. They came in and threw a bunch of flowers at the crowd, but I didn't catch any :(. The lead singer even brought his dad on stage so he could recited the CD's opening line:
"When you have nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire"

The crowd went crazy! So good! I had gone specifically to hear them perform this one song, called "Your ex-lover is dead", which they ended up playing in the encore. Whew! For a second, I thought they wouldn't play it at all. I love it because it sounds deceptively happy, but the lyrics tell another story:

"
God that was strange to see you again
Introduced by a friend of a friend
Smiled and said 'yes I think we've met before'
In that instant it started to pour

Captured a taxi despite all the rain
We drove in silence across Pont Champlain
And all of that time you thought I was sad
I was trying to remember your name

This scar is a fleck on my porcelain skin
You tried to reach deep but you never got in
And now you're outside me you see all the beauty
Repent all your sin

Nothing but time and a face that you'll lose
I chose to feel it and you couldn't choose
I'll write you a postcard, I'll send you the news
From the house down the road from real love

Live through this and you won't look back
Live through this and you won't look back
Live through this and you won't look back

There's one thing I have to say so I'll be brave
You were what I wanted
I gave what I gave
I'm not sorry I met you
I'm not sorry it's over
I'm not sorry there's nothing to save
I'm not sorry there's nothing to save"

I love concerts, I'm hoping I'll get to go to many more this summer.
Anyway, that's enough of a study break as I have two more finals on Thursday. :P

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with your finals! It'll be over before you know it, and then you can enjoy the Montreal summer :)
Magali

PS. To get rid of your trojan, try downloading AVG (by grisoft)

4:20 p.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Thanks Magali! It's really nice to hear from you again, by the way. I downloaded AVG, here's to hoping it works. I'm considering backing up all of my files and reformating my computer this summer anyway; I'd like to make this baby last me a few more years...

9:32 p.m.  
Blogger MissRancher said...

With a name like "Stars" it's hard to google them! But they sound good...do they have a website? Glad to hear you are doing well!!

9:08 a.m.  
Blogger 007 in Africa said...

Who's Timmy's Hoe? Not you I hope!

9:24 a.m.  
Blogger Victoria said...

Timmy Ho's is what we like to call Tim Hortons. You know, I'm not even sure how that came about; it's just Timmy Ho's. :-)

9:22 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home