Monday, April 04, 2005

Canadian swing dancing championships

So friday's lab ended up being intense, but once again Prof. Western was amazingly nice-- she spent at least three hours going over my suggested protocol (HA! If you can call it that) and teaching me how to use all the various lab equipment. I've been managing to make a complete fool of myself these days, it must really be a gift. An example:
Scene: the lab. The studious labhand is surrounded by ~120 tiny tubes and is filling each with seeds.
[Enter Professor Chevrette who, naturally, doesn't recognize me, a meagre student]
Moi: Bonjour!
Prof. Chevrette (thick trois-rivieres quebecois accent): Bonjour... Tamara est la?
Moi (having heard: "Ta maman est la?" and incredibly flustered): Ah! Euh, non, c'est ma proffesseure, euh...
Prof. C.: ...
Moi (finally understanding and reverting to english): ...she's in the office.
Prof. C.: ....OK, thanks...
[professor runs away, labhand hangs head in shame]

It's a good thing he didn't recognize me!
In other news, I went swing dancing on friday (OK, this isn't news, but this is), and ran into Lisa, the head of McGill Swing Kids. Completly excited as usual, she assulted me and started trying to convince me to go to the Canadian Swing Dancing Championships. She says she thinks my partner and I should enter the amateur swing dancing event, and the price includes hotel and hardcore dance classes all morning (competitions are in the afternoon). Well, wow! A competition, and I wouldn't even have been dancing a full year! I have to admit, I'm sorely tempted. I would learn so much, and get to see amazing dancing up close (and not just download the videos like a dork). The downside: it's pricy. I'm not sure if it's worth it...
Ugh, I'm still so full from this indian buffet we went to on saturday night... but it was so good. I've made it a goal to learn how to cook indian food next year. And it shall be good.

3 Comments:

Blogger 007 in Africa said...

So funny I think I snorted...

1:02 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, oh,Victoria.....je suis contente que tu t'amuses et fasses des prouesses mais n'oublie pas tes examens!!!!!

Bisous.

Mom.

1:41 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Vicky!

It's great to read your blog - really makes me miss McGill life!
So... are you going to enter the swing dancing competition? It sounds like fun!
I hope to see you in London one day!
Bisous.

3:28 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home