Thursday, March 31, 2005

Ottawa & Rain

So it's about time I update my journal again!
I got to travel across this wonderful land that they call Canada again to the shinning city called OTTAWA! Yay! My friend Sarah felt sorry for all the non-Canuks at the residence and invited us (Kate, Charlotte and I) to spend Easter weekend at her place. And let me tell you, I'm grateful she did! Spending Easter aww awone at the residence would have been sad and creepy indeed :'(
So basically we all took off on friday mornin' on a train (funny story: I forgot my ticket and had to run back to the residence to get it... but I mad my train! HA!) and arrived in Ottawa in the early afternoon. Her mom was waiting for us at the train station, and she and Sarah spent the ride to Sarah's house pointing to various Important Buildings in Ottawa (as Charlotte and I not so discreetly fell asleep in the back seat... for some reason, we all kept on dozing off ALL THE TIME that weekend; Sarah's mom must have thought we were insane).
Sarah's house is really pretty, it looked like some forgotten wooden structure lost in the forest. We got to tramp in the snow, see the beaver ponds, and take lots of silly pictures! The next few days consisted mostly of sleeping, eating, and visiting museums. It was awesome. I got to carry a bar of gold worth a quarter million (I was going to run for it, but the security guard was giving the evil eye).
This week has been good-- really good, mostly due to the face that the SUN is out and that the temperature os consistently above 0 degrees. YAY! I went raincoat shopping with Kate, which was super exciting, and we got to wear them tonight because IT IS RAINING! That's right, folks. Actual liquid water. It boggles the mind!
On a random silly note, labbing for Western today was fun. I got to know the other people in the lab a little better, and we (Sonja, Helen and I) gave Andrej a hard time because girls are always calling for him. We all know he's the Research Playboy. We should make him an honourary name tag or something! Downside of labbing for Western: she's expecting me to come up with a protocol for dying the arabidopsis seeds for tomorrow ("so we can carry it out"), and frankly, I have no idea what I'm going to do!
Tootles folks!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Vicky, hope you're having fun and working hard! The dog misses you.

11:39 p.m.  
Blogger 007 in Africa said...

Haha, aren't mom and dad funny? What they mean is "we miss you but we're too proud to admit so instead we'll say that the dog misses you". I got that from my "Parents for Dummies" manual. Anyhow, that's great that Prof. Western trusts you to come up with a dying technique for whatever types of seeds...But isn't she setting the bar a wee bit high? Either you must have impressed her with your ability to think independently or done some mad lying on your resume (ex: Worked in a plant laboratory on seed dying techniques for the last 5 years). By the way, Congo misses you.

2:43 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so you know Victoria, Ottawa misses you too.

7:23 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home